• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MORE!…Rear main seal talk!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Let me just start with the fact this issue has been talked to death,but I saw a YT video the other day and the gentleman has way more experience with the issue than me. He had a 440 built up a little and was showing his kit for the rear main seal from Mancini. So what he was explaining was that after removing the drag link and draining the oil and loosening the pan bolts,also to mention he had a 4spd not auto but that does not matter. So he described taking off the flywheel inspection cover where he had a leak at the weep hole of the cover. His suggestion that if the flywheel is dry(no oil spread around) there is not a main seal leak and that it is coming from above and in his case it was the valley cover under the intake at the rear corners that showed signs of leaking and burn marks. I apologize for the long wind.
So I removed my flywheel inspection cover to discover oil residue at the connection point of the cover and inspected the flywheel and as far into the bell housing as possible and it was dry. Not having any luck finding an oil leak up top so could it be possible that it would be the pan seal across the back of the pan over the main seal cap?
Had the main seal replaced about 500 miles ago.
Thanks for any ideas or solutions!!

Back