• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood Hinge rivet replaced

vso737

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can get a hood hinge repaired in Southern California. I need a rivet installed.

photograph attached

Thanks,
LG,
Mike

RH HOOD HINGE- 022.jpg

RH HOOD HINGE- 022.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I don't know but I did send mine to Restorick and had them restored if you don't find a source

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Good price if they are not worn out which puts you in the same boat.

vso737

Reaction score
EXACTLY- The ones I have are working perfect with the exception of the ONE solid rivet missing.

I can purchase new ones, after market, which may or may not be as good as the original ones. The price is not bad for new ones but I feel it would be throwing money away ..........all due to one little solid rivet.

Will see if I can purchase a rivet and have a machine shop press it on or try doing it myself ........................

Thanks for the input,
LG,
MikeRH HOOD HINGE- 022.jpg

RH HOOD HINGE- 022.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
If you have a press then heat up the head and press it. What dose the replacement look like. I would check with a local machine shop and see if they have ever done it before. Russ. :yesnod:

vso737

Reaction score
DONE DEAL!
I think the hardest was finding a vendor that would have the solid rivet and that would NOT want to sell you 50-100 of them. We are lucky to have a "hole in the wall" hardware store in Ventura that carries just about every item one can not find anywhere else. He had the rivet, NOT the exact rivet but close enough that I could message it to make it work. I could have spent more time on it and made it look more like the original but I didn't...................
I HATE depending on anyone else and I'm a bit of a 'cheap skate' to boot so I decided to THREAD the rivet and double nut it and notch it for extra measure.
I guessed at the diameter of the rivet when I purchased it. For future reference, the HOLE is 3/8". I was able to fasten the hinge to work as well of better than original and then cut off the excess rivet.
Some times things do work out the way one plans them out. The hood supports I installed worked perfect as did the idea of using a 'come along' to remove the spring. ONLY negative is that the touch up paint I purchased almost a couple of years ago is starting to all dry up in the container.
A real close look reveals that it is NOT a 100% match to the other rivets but it is by far a much better look than before. Like we used to say in the Army, after the hymn, "it's good enough for government work".

A BEFORE and AFTER picture attached. Also a picture with a list of everything that was done to this motor. YES, I know, difficult to read.......I will be doing another one.

Thanks again for all the input,
LG,
Mike

hinge repair- 862.jpgMOTOR- PERFORMANCE LISTED.jpgHINGED MOUNTED- 878.jpg

hinge repair- 862.jpg

MOTOR- PERFORMANCE LISTED.jpg

HINGED MOUNTED- 878.jpg

Last edited:

dmartin

Reaction score
Looks like a factory job man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk