• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reaction score
Hey all. My brother gave .e an awesome early birthday present. He has either a 77 or 78 Diplomat II motorhome that has a 440 and he told me to pull the engine and it's mine. I'll be pulling it this weekend. He has the original paperwork on this rig and I pulled the dog house cover and crawled underneath it and sure enough it has the original engine according to the numbers and paperwork. The engine turns over doesn't gallop when cranking. My question since I'm new to Mopar is I've heard the 440 out of any chrysler motorhome is good engine to build. Can any of you experienced mopar gear heads verify this statement? Thanks as always Mike

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It is the same block more or less which is good, a cast crank which is good for low to medium horse power builds. The heads might be ok depending on the casting numbers but they had low compression pistons about 8 or 8.5 to 1 or so. In stock form they will still move a car around pretty well.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
My friend just built a 440 for me and I had picked up a 73 mh block a couple years ago that was .30 over. I had a 69 440 hp I had picked up but the block was cracked. Mine has steel crank withe the b heads that have had work done to them. Mist of the parts for the engine are brand new to include trw pistons, oil pump, water pump, .555 lift cam all new bearings of course. He has a 68 that is being put back together with a Ray Barton 540 Hemi. Mine is about ready to be installed. Pics of the 440 and his Hemi.

20240808_174401.jpg

20240724_165955.jpg

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I used a 440 block from a 1976 Winnebago. I tore it down and had my machine shop clean, magnaflux, install new cam bearings, and bore it 30 over. I had a steel crank and LY rods. Got some Wiseco Pistons for about 10:1 comp. Edelbrock RPM Performer, 440 source heads. 509 cam, TTI headers and used my 650 Holley from the 383. It's a nice running and looking engine. It's only around 400 HP, but that's good for me. I'm older now and not taking it to the track. There's still room to build it but it's good for now.

In2.jpeg

Mo1.jpg

Last edited:

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I used a 440 block from a 1976 Winnebago. I tore it down and had my machine shop clean, magnaflux, install new cam bearings, and bore it 30 over. I had a steel crank and LY rods. Got some Wiseco Pistons for about 10:1 comp. Edelbrock RPM Performer, 440 source heads. 509 cam, TTI headers and used my 650 Holley from the 383. It's a nice running and looking engine. It's only around 400 HP, but that's good for me. I'm older now and not taking it to the track. There's still room to build it but it's good for now.

View attachment 38594

View attachment 38596
That's nice. I'm over 60 myself and 400 is fine. I have a race car. Just wanna drive my roadrunner and go to the car shows.

Back