• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

timing plate

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
On my 383 motor. There is a timing plate down by the harmonic balancer. The drilled hole is tdc. Now before that is a few slashes on the plate. Can not read what they indicate on degrees. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Russ.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes that is it. Now I see 10 before but what is the first one just in front of the word before in degrees. Appreciate the help. Russ.

mopar jack

Reaction score
All 6 marks are an equal distance apart which would make the 1st line 15 degrees before.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Well actually the 1st line is 5 btc then 10, then 15. After is 5 then 10. Hey Russ does your timing light have a dial to change the pattern? If it does turn it until the light indicates "0" then read the timing light.

mopar jack

Reaction score
If I read it like a book left to right 1st line 15 before 2nd line 10 before 3rd line 5 before 4th is zero 5th 5 after and 6th 10 after.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well actually the 1st line is 5 btc then 10, then 15. After is 5 then 10. Hey Russ does your timing light have a dial to change the pattern? If it does turn it until the light indicates "0" then read the timing light.
Bought one from HBF. It has the dial on the back of the light. Just set it too 0 and went with it.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So, I got my seven-blade fan in and on the car. Still running at 190 on the road. At stop light gets around 200 degrees. Gues this is as go as it will get. Tried a bigger radiator with more cores but not enough room for it to work. Do have fan shroud on it and it is a 26-inch rad. Just would like it to have a 180 temp when driving. After reading other forums 190 is just about a norm for the motor. 383. It is like we are never done working on these old runner's trying to improve the performance. :thumbsup2:

Back