• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear end ratio calculator for hp/torque?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Having watched a lot of car shows in the last couple of years, I have seen the two types of dyno's people can use - one for power at the flywheel and the other for power at the rear wheels. Since a rear end ratio change out is one of the quickest ways to multiply power to the wheels, I am curious if you all know of any cheap and quick calculators online for determining rear wheel power if you have the flywheel hp and the rear gear ratio available.

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
Never heard of such a calculator. You can't change the horsepower of the engine by changing the rear ratio. The average loss of HP between the flywheel and rear wheels is 20%. I think by lowering the rear ratio, you can reduce the HP loss between the flywheel and rear wheels. You could measure the diff before and after on a dyno...but I don't know that it can be calculated.

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
You need to have your mph in the 1/4 mile and the weight of the car to calculate your HP but it won't help to know your flywheel HP and rear gear ratio. For my 2013 Charger R/T, I used the formula above and with a 99.05 mph and a 4500 pound car, my rear wheel HP is 333 vs a factory rating of 370

Back