• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flat tappet vs roller cam

1969Claw

Reaction score
I have a 69 roadrunner 4 spd. w/ a 500+hp 440cid / trick flow heads (with spring and valves etc.). I have started to hear a little lift noise and was thinking of just replacing the Comp 21-224-4 cam with one of the Comp XE roller cam vs just a complete lifter change. The car is 98% street driven. Thoughts/suggestions.......

Roadtrip

Reaction score
A roller cam would just ultimate piece of mind that you won’t flat the cam, but the lifters can still fail. A friends FE390 had bad comp roller lifters around the pin and roller area. Do you already have adjustable rockers?

1969Claw

Reaction score
Yes, I have adj rockers. Looking for a slight increase in performance with a roller, just not sure which one. Not quite sure how to compare the two cam types.

WWheeler

Reaction score
A local Hi Po engine rebuilder recommended a roller cam over the flat tappet cam. Reason being metallurgy and not because of performance. A roller cam will always be billet and has more reliable metallurgy than the cast flat tappet cams. Problem is where these are made. Just can't trust what you are getting these days. You might find a great flat tappet cam or not. At least with a roller cam, you start with a better construction.

Back