• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Road Runner help with no spark at coil

jeffp_032056

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm helping out a long time friend that passed away recently. His wife was left with his 1969 Road Runner which he bought in 1972 from his brother-in-law, 69k miles, 383, 4-speed, all original, all matching numbers. The negative is 40 years ago he put it into the shed, closed the doors and walked away, never to be touched again. No storage prep was done on it and it sat on a dirt floor all this time. We drug it out last week and I prepped the motor and was able to get it turn turn over yesterday with the starter. Sounded good. The problem is I have no spark coming from the coil. Back in the day (1970's) I could have trouble-shot this in no time and away we would have gone. Sigh, not anymore. If my memory is any good I thought there was an easy way to get spark out of the coil by running a jumper from "a" to "b", etc. but I don't remember anymore. I do realize the coil could be bad, etc. but I'd like to try this first. Can anyone refresh my memory and help me out. Both his wife and I would like to hear it run one more time before she puts it up for sale. Thanks.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You could hot wire it by running a wire from the battery to the Positive coil and fire it. I wouldn't run it to long because 12 volts will cook the coil if it is any good. Is it still points and condenser?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Could be a bad connection at fire wall. If you own, it would just replace Ballast resistor and the ECU along with the coil. Yes is it pointless ignition or points. Good luck with the quest. :thumbsup2:

jeffp_032056

Reaction score
You could hot wire it by running a wire from the battery to the Positive coil and fire it. I wouldn't run it to long because 12 volts will cook the coil if it is any good. Is it still points and condenser?
I tried that. LUCKILY I had the cap off the distributor..... the point assembly turned red-hot immediately.

jeffp_032056

Reaction score
Could be a bad connection at fire wall. If you own, it would just replace Ballast resistor and the ECU along with the coil. Yes is it pointless ignition or points. Good luck with the quest. :thumbsup2:
She told me to go ahead and start spending money so I'm picking up points, condenser, resistor, coil and voltage regulator. Will be putting them in one by one in the next day or so.

Back