• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Road Runner "BEEP, BEEP Horn Problem

Wideboots

Reaction score
Just bought a 69 Road Runner a couple of months ago. Currently trying to diagnose problem with the horn. Someone has wired the horn directly to a button under the dash (no relay, just a wire going to the button). This button is also wired to a brown wire coming out of the steering column. The button under the dash does not work nor does the regular horn button on the steering column. I would like to make the horn button on the steering column work as it should. I tested the horn and it does work when power directly to it from the battery. I have a diagram of how to wire a 4 pin relay to make the horn work. I need to know which wire coming out of the steering column is from the horn button. I checked the wire under the horn button on the steering column and it looks to be in the proper place. Unfortunately, my electrical skills are limited. Advice here would be very helpful. Thanks.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
There is a roller contact under the steering wheel that has most likely broke or wore out. Pull the wheel to check it, its in the upper right of the picture.

DSCN1517.JPG

Wideboots

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Checked the "roller" you mentioned. It appears to be fine. My main problem now is finding the right color wire coming out of the steering wheel column to the horn button on the steering wheel. Relay is hooked up, all wires are run, but I do not know which wire is for the horn button. This last wire should make the horn work with the horn button on the steering wheel. (I hope) Just added some pictures of the wires coming out of the steering column and the connector it hooks up to. Still confused. I see one wire that is black with a blue or purple stripe that might just be the wire I am looking for. However, it does not have a coresponding wire on the steering wheel side of the connector.

20240705_151735[1].jpg

20240705_151855[1].jpg

20240705_152042[1].jpg

20240705_152105[1].jpg

20240705_152115[1].jpg

Last edited:

DadsRunner

Reaction score
Wideboots,

I had horn issues on my 69. It was all in the spring tension horn contact ring. I took sandpaper and cleaned it inside and out. I also replace the entire wiring connector and wires from top of wheel to the connector you show. All works good now. I threw the old one away so sorry can’t help with the individual wires.

Wideboots

Reaction score
OK, to close out this thread: It turns out that the horn button wire is black going in one side of the steering wheel column connector and coming out the other side of the coresponding connector the wire is black with a blue stripe. Hooked everything up and pushed the button and was rewarded with a resounding "BEEP-BEEP". I love it when a plan comes together!. Thanks to all for the advice in making this happen.

Back